Tight win for Grafton scores them place in final

Defeating Wigmore 5-4

Wigmore hosted Grafton on Sunday 11 June in the last of the league ties of this year’s Millennium Cup, and it was to prove a pivotal contest to decide the contenders for the September Final.

Clare Sanderson, the Millennium Cup Captain at Wigmore, reports:

Round 1

The first round of matches saw the Boys Under 16 Singles, Women’s Doubles and Women’s 40 and Over Singles take to the clay courts at Wigmore.

In a tense encounter, Grafton’s Finn Dempster, stormed into a 4-0 lead in the first set, being the more clinical of the two boys, before Luca Rizzo (W) broke to love, with a perfectly positioned defensive lob, and aided by an ill-timed double fault.

It couldn’t stop Grafton, however, taking the set 6-1.

Finn continued his form into the second, consolidating an early break as he looked more assured in the baseline rallies.

This lead to Finn serving for the match at 5-0, when Luca took a 30-0 lead and then, at 30-40 taking the break, before Grafton broke back to take the rubber, 6-1 6-1.

In the Ladies 40 singles Karen Davey (W) and Maureen Kenny (G) were on court for nearly two hours, the rallies were long, battling the wind and the heavy conditions as both used all the shots they had at their disposal.

Maureen took advantage of an early break to take the first set 6-3.

It was a similar story in the second, with Maureen initially taking a commanding lead through a double break to go 5-2 up, and Karen then prolonging the match by breaking to make it 5-3, but she was unable to consolidate the break and was broken back for Grafton to pocket the match, 6-3 6-3.

Long rallies epitomised the neighbouring ladies doubles match, as Wigmore’s Anne Boucnik and Sharon Goulds traded cross court rallies, volleys and lobs with Grafton’s Julie Wilson and Mary Micklewright.

Grafton took the first set 6-1, only to find themselves in a tighter contest as the Wigmore pair broke at a crucial time to take the second 7-5, forcing the deciding match tie break.

Julie and Mary took advantage early on, although Wigmore were able to bring it back to 7-7, when a double fault and the wind swept a lob away to give Grafton match points and they wasted no time in taking the first opportunity to win a tightly fought encounter, 6-1 5-7 [10-7].

Round 2

The Women’s Open Singles proved to be a very close match that saw both ladies playing some great tennis in the sunshine.

With Lisa Bretherick (W) narrowly taking the first set in a tie-break against Grafton’s Alice Roberts, who was making her Millennium Cup debut.

With one set under her belt, Lisa surged forward to take the second set and give Wigmore their first win of the day.

The Mens 45 singles saw Toby Young (W) start the match confidently on home ground against Grafton’s Paul Flatters.

Paul found getting grips with the clay tough going and some big serves from Toby secured the first set for him.

The second set was very closely matched all the way through, with neither side giving much away, and the only break of serve falling Toby’s way at 4-5 to secure him the second set and the match, 6-3 6-4 for Wigmore.

In the Girl’s 16 & Under Singles, Wigmore’s Lorena Valle was substituted by Grafton’s Naela Muhammed and the point awarded to Grafton as she took on fellow club member Jennae Manning in a long, friendly three-setter which Naela eventually won 6-4 6-7 7-6 

Round 3

In the Men’s Singles, Grafton’s Matt McInerney proved too consistent for Keem Chung and won in straight sets, 6-3 6-2.

As conditions became more blustery, both the Wigmore and Grafton pairs had to work hard to keep serves under control and balls in play in the Men’s Doubles.

Grafton’s Alex Hamlin and Mike Bright broke in the first game, and went on to take a 3-1, then 4-2 lead, as Wigmore’s Nick Eastwood and Peter Keeling fought off their early jitters and won the next 4 games to take the first set 6-4.

The second set saw the Wigmore pair take early advantage by breaking serve for a 2-0 lead, with serving remaining a tricky task, and successive breaks allowed them to hold onto their slim lead before both sides finally held serve to make it 5-3.

Nick and Peter, serving out the match, were unable to take the chance as Alex and Mike broke back, but with Grafton serving at 40-15, they were unable to level the match.

Wigmore won 4 successive points to break and take the match 6-4 6-4.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Team Captains Murray Sutton (G) and Clare Sanderson (W) took on the final match of the day, the Mixed Doubles, with their respective partners Vicky Pike (G) and Paul Billett (W).

Spurred on by all of the great matches preceding this one, both sides played well and were very evenly matched with numerous deuce points and no one dropping serve.

Wigmore just managed to edge ahead to take the first set and despite some incredible aces from Vicky managed to take the second set as well giving Wigmore their 4th win of the day.

The overall result of 5:4 to Grafton reflected the great day and great matches all helped along by a bit of sunshine.

Clare Sanderson, Wigmore Captain


Grafton’s five points took them to second place in the Points Standings, just one point behind the top finishers, Norbury Park, and the two clubs must now face off again against each other in the final in September.


Wigmore lost to Grafton 4-5

[Wigmore names first]

Women’s Singles: Lisa Bretherwick d Alice Roberts 7-6 6-1; Men’s Singles: Keem Chung lost to Matt McInerney 6-3 6-2; Women’s Over 40 Singles: Karen Davey lost to Maureen Kenny 6-3 6-3; Men’s Over 45 Singles: Toby Young d Paul Flatters 6-3 6-4; Girls Under 16 Singles: Naela Muhammed (Grafton player substitution) lost to Jennae Manning 6-4 6-7 7-6; Boys Under 16 Singles: Luca Rizzo lost to Finn Dempster 6-1 6-1; Women’s Doubles: Anne Boucnik & Sharon Goulds lost to Julie Wilson & Mary Micklewright 6-6 5-7 [10-7]; Men’s Doubles: Nick Eastwood & Peter Keeling d Alex Hamlin & Mike Bright 6-4 6-4; Mixed Doubles: Paul Billett & Clare Sanderson d Murray Sutton & Vicky Pike 6-4 6-1.